About Me

My photo
Vermont
Check my shop on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/UpcycleRecycleReuse

Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Vintage Crate Project



Last holiday season, Johanna and I got together to celebrate an early Christmas, and much to my surprise, Johanna had a special gift for me. Johanna knows how much I love all things vintage, especially vintage soda crates, so when she saw this beauty at Goodwill.

When I brought the crate into work, each cubby filled with crafty goodness, I was anxious to see Johanna’s reaction. She was relieved that I had decided to whitewash it and not actually paint it. In this case, whitewashing simply worked because the original “character” and marks and writing on the sides still show through. Very cool!

To whitewash the crate I simply mixed gesso with water and lightly painted the box. I filled all the little compartments with some of my favorite supplies: fabric tapes, cute clothespins, and ribbon on spools. If you are in the market for a vintage crate, scope out the local antique markets in your area.
I’ve seen lots of creative crate planter ideas lately – such a cute project to make for a garden. I think I know what my next project will be!

Project by Vanessa Spencer
Photo by Johanna Love

No comments:

Post a Comment